Sharing our love for an Indian summer , a typical Punjabi dish that we would have is Baingan Bharta, a roasted aubergine dish.
- 2 large aubergines – oiled
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed or finely chopped
- 1 tsp ginger finely grated
- 2 onions medium, finely sliced
- 2-3 tomatoes (preferably unripe), chopped into large pieces
- 2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
- 1 tbsp coriander and cumin – powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsp salt
- Pomegranate seeds
Grill aubergines turning occasionally until skin starts to brown. Should be cooked after 7-8 mins, check with a knife easily passing through. Cool aubergines for 20 minutes, keeping covered. Then remove outer skin and keep flesh. Heat oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add onions. Once brown add cumin seeds, ginger and garlic, sauté for 30 seconds. Add salt and tomatoes, cover and cook until the tomatoes are completely soft. Add aubergine flesh and peas, cook on low heat for 20 minutes. Sprinkle garam masala powder and simmer for 2 minutes. Garnish with fresh coriander and pomegranate and serve hot with chapatis (corn chapatis for gluten free option).